Witsand Nature Reserve Olifantshoek
Few eco-destinations in the Northern Cape are as scenic as Witsand Nature Reserve and even fewer boast the luxury accommodation establishment offer host visitors. Witsand Nature Reserve is a scenic park, teeming with bird life, including the Namaqua sandgrouse, sociable weaver and Africa's smallest raptor - the pygmy falcon. Only hosts can offer you sensual, flowing white dunes - twenty to sixty metres high - surrounded by copper-red Kalahari sand, Acacia woodland and the Langberg Mountain range. Home of the famous "Brulsand" or Roaring Sands of the Kalahari. Under the right conditions, these dunes utter an eerie rumble when disturbed. Although the dune vegetation is generally-speaking sparse, it is complex and not easy to identify the different plant communities. On the plains surrounding the dunes, the vegetation is characteristically Kalahari Thornveld invaded by Karoo-type vegetation.
Each lodge consists of:
• three separate bedrooms.
• one and a half bathrooms.
• an open plan kitchen/living area.
• Accommodate a total of 20 guests.
• There are three rooms sleeping four people and four rooms sleeping 2 people.
• Communal ablution and field kitchen facilities available.
• Bedding is provided, bring own towels.
Each lodge is fully equipped with:
• kitchen utensils.
• bedding and towels.
• an outside fireplace for braais.
Caravan and Camping:
• Accommodate 60 people.
• There are ten sites.
• Each site is fitted with water, electrical points, and generous fireplaces with a light.
• The ablution facilities are of the highest quality.
• Facility for washing dishes and clothing lines.
The conference facility has been stylishly upgraded and extended to accommodate the following:
• Conferences, weddings and end of year functions in typical Kalahari surroundings
• Can accommodate 35 people in u-shape style.
• Can accommodate 50 people in classroom style.
• Air-conditioned and equipped with proxima, overhead and slide projector, flip chart and screen.
• Adjoining enclosed Lapa/dining area caters for up to 80 people.
• Catering to be pre-booked for conference groups, obtain menus from reception.
• Accommodate 36 people at the picnic sites.
• Maximum of 6 people per site.
• Larger groups can rent the lapa on a daily basis.
• Day visitors, who have paid for picnic sites, are allowed to make use of the allocated swimming pool.
Witsand also offers:
• A unique and spectacular Kalahari experience.
• Facilities for the disabled.
• Friendly personal service.
Kiosk: A small kiosk selling locally made curios, basic foodstuffs and soft drinks is open daily.
However, establishment do not stock fresh produce and/or alcoholic beverages.
• Various exhibitions, nature books, magazines and videos to view.
• Displays natural and archaeological treasures occurring in the area.
Kalahari Mountain View 4X4 Sand Route:
• Situated on a farm, 20km from Witsand.
• You will have the opportunity to drive on the famous red Kalahari sands and dunes.
• A stunning picnic site under a large camel thorn tree housing an impressive and very active sociable weaver's nest.
• The route is 23km long with an additional 4km up a mountain slope, with various difficulty levels experienced en route.
Adventure and Extreme Sports:
• The entire reserve is open to hikers.
• Witsand is renowned for the fact that there are no restrictions where visitors can go on foot.
• Dune Boards for rent.
• Bicycles for rent.
• The region is regarded as the finest area in Africa for stargazing.
• Photographic opportunities are endless, with the dunes, blue skies and all the natural assets of Witsand.
• Bird watching and game viewing.
• Guided tours by management (by prior arrangement).
• There is a swimming pool on the reserve for use by picnicking visitors, campers and bungalow guests.
• A separate swimming pool for the exclusive use of the lodge guests.
• 3km walking trail through Kalahari veld, with 43 marked plant species.
• Picnic site and outdoor museum on the trail.
Environmental Education Facility:
• A special environmental educational rate is offered to approved groups.
• Refer to reception for more information.
Team Building Package:
• Team building exercises arranged by professional guide.
• Pre-book 3 weeks in advance.
• Bookings done through reception.
• Two view-sites each fitted with an information panel.
Rates per room per night, specials, meals, children policy: on request
|Self-catering: per adult|
|Self-catering: De Luxe Lodge (Honeymoon)|
|Kalahari Experience Package: dinner, bed & breakfast|
|Camping sites: adults, maximum 6 persons per site|
|Bicycle Hire: per bicycle per day|
|Dune Boards: (single boards)|
|Dune Boards: (double boards)|
|Kalahari Mountain View 4 x 4 Dune Route: per vehicle|
|Kalahari Mountain View 4 x 4 Dune Route: (max. 4 people - per person additionally)|
|Hiring of Conference Facility: per day|
|Hiring of Lapa/dining area for events: per day|
Contact & reservations:
1) you can e-mail us requesting information and/or rates
Reservations are only accepted in writing: by fax or via e-mail.
Final availability confirmation: in writing: by fax or via e-mail.
Terms & conditions, Payment options and Cancellation policy
Page created and serviced by
Copyright © 1998-2020 NamibWeb.com - The online guide to South Africa
All rights reserved | JOIN | VIDEO PORTFOLIO | VIDEO LIBRARY
Page is sponsored by ETS & Exploring Namibia TV
Disclaimer: no matter how often this page is updated and its accuracy is checked www.namibweb.com and ETS
will not be held responsible for any change in opinion, information, facilities, services, conditions, etc. offered by
establishment/operator/service/information provider or any third party
Description & pictures: Copyright © Witsand Nature Reserve Northern Cape