Bushman's Paradise Cave

Bushman’s Paradise Cave is the site of an ancient settlement, where a number of excellent samples of rock art were discovered. However the art has been vandalised and / or mistreated by travellers who used soft-drinks and water to improve photography, so the rock art is in a poor condition. This highlights the need for responsible behaviour around rock art.

The rock art at Bushman’s Paradise is believed to have been made between 4,400 BCE and 100 AD. They were first noticed by European settlers in the early 20th century, and prior to their mistreatment were regarded as one of the finest collections of rock art in Namibia.

The first excavation of the cave took place in 1917. The archaeologist, Abbe Breuil inspected the art in 1948. He found a deep, high shelter, the floor of which was covered in stone implements. The back wall of the cave was covered in paintings.

In addition to the main cave, rock art is also located in two caves diagonally opposite the main cave, and around the waterfall near the two smaller caves.

Bushman Paradise Cave
Other Site Details Classification | A.05.1. Archaeology,
Rock Art
Proclamation No | 018/1954
Place | Spitzkoppe, near Usakos
Region | Erongo
Site Environment | Close to the Spitzkoppe and Pondok Montains, thornbush savanna. Round the Spitzkoppe Village that has a school, 28 places with rock art have been discovered.
Previous Use | Shelter.
Current Use | Tourist attraction, rest camp close by.
References | Official Gazette 1844, No. 159, 1954. Vogt, Andreas, "National Monuments in Namibia", Windhoek 2004, p. 37-38. Kinahan, John, "Four thousand years Spitzkoppe. Changes in settlement and landuse on the edge of Namib Desert", Cimebasia, No. 12, 1990. Bre
Legal Status | Declared as National Monument on 01.07.1954 by the Historical Monuments Commission for South West Africa (HMC).

Description

The paintings in the Cave of Bushman Paradise itself are situated under a overhang at the head of a amphitheatre and shows numerous humans and animals and a sphinx. The monument also includes two caves diagonally opposite from there that also contain paintings plus a waterfall below them with its catchment area.

Brief History

The paintings have been known since the beginning of the 20th century; first archeological excavations by E. Reuning in 1917. When A. H. Breuil did his research in 1948, he found the convex rear wall covered all over with paintings that have been one of the finest examples in Namibia.

Contact Details
Latitude | -21.8462
Longitude | 15.3424
Contact Details of Caretakers | Riaan Gariseb, Spitzkoppe Development Trust, P.O. Box 357, Usakos, 064 530 912

Related: Rock art in Namibia, Brandberg, Hohenstein Lodge, Spitzkoppe Rest Camp, Paula's Cave
To view Spitzkoppe mountain click here

Contact:

 
E-mail: info@namibweb.com

Related Maps Accommodation in the area Activities in the area
Hotels Pensions B&Bs Lodges Camping & others
Karibib General map Gross Barmen Resort Kaliombo Otjiruze Erongo Wilderness Lodge 1000 Olives Guest House Rhino tracking, horse riding, game drives
Gross Barmen Etosha Ai-Aiba Lodge - Sylvanette B&B Epako Lodge Bobbejaan Dam Chalets Souvenir tours
Usakos Regions Otjisazu Guest Farm - - Okahandja Lodge Ombo Rest Camp Day tours
Von Bach Dam Resort Omaruru Bahnhof Hotel Usakos - - Oropoko Lodge Ovita Game Lodge Balloon trips over Brandberg
Central Region - Kashana Country House - - Etusis Lodge Usakos Camp Site City tours
Swakopmund - - - - Okomitundu Guest Farm Khan River Lodge Tours to game farms

Bookmark and Share

Page created and serviced by

www.namibweb.com

Copyright © 1998-2017 NamibWeb.com - The online guide to Namibia
All rights reserved |
VIDEO LIBRARY
Page is sponsored by ETS & www.namibweb.com
Disclaimer: no matter how often this page is updated and its accuracy is checked www.namibweb.com and ETS will not be held responsible for any change in opinion, information, facilities, services, conditions, etc. offered by establishment/operator/service/information provider or any third party